Compost and Recycling Resources
- NH Farm to School Composting in Schools Fact Sheet
- UNH Extension: Fertilizing the Organic Garden
- Joan's Famous Composting Worms
- Northeast Resource Recovery Association: Information on composting and recycling in New Hampshire schools
- The School Recycling Club Guide to Composting
- Away with School Waste: A Teacher's Guide to Starting a School Waste Reduction, Recycling & Composting Program (PDF): Alyson Chambers, Arlene Kozimbo, Erika Perloff, and Collette Streight This guide was written for teachers who want to start a school-wide waste reduction program at their schools. Produced by Ecology Action, Life Lab Science Program, and Santa Cruz County Office of Education. (PDF: 12 pages, $5.00)
- Composting basics for beginners.
- Composting in Schools: The information on this site is drawn from the book Composting in the Classroom by Nancy Trautmann and Marianne Krasny. The book offers ideas for high school research projects and a wealth of compost-related information.
- Cornell Waste Management Institute: This institute serves the public through research, outreach, training, and technical assistance programs in solid waste disposal, management, and planning.
- Creating Less Trash at School: by reduce.org
- Food Diversion at Schools: This material provides options and methods for preventing, reusing, and composting food waste in schools. Lists on-line resources and publications available from the California Integrated Waste Management Board. (PDF: 3 pages)
- Organizing Cafeteria Recycling Programs in Elementary Schools: A How-to Guide: This document from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works, Elementary School Environmental Education Program outlines an easy-to-implement school cafeteria recycling program. (PDF: 9 pages)
- Recycling Manual for NJ Schools: This manual created by the Association of New Jersey Recyclers (ANJR) offers school personnel step-by-step guidance through the process of setting up a comprehensive recycling program. (PDF: 58 pages)
- Report on the CIWMB School District Diversion Project (April 2002): This report by the California Integrated Waste Management Board includes strategy, pilot programs, and background information on efforts to initiate waste reduction in institutional settings. Six school districts participated in the pilot project. (PDF: 240 pages)
- Rethinking Recycling: An Oregon Waste Reduction Curriculum: Oregon Department of Environmental Quality offers activities and lesson plans for students in grades K-5.
- wastefreelunches.org This website includes information on how to pack waste-free lunches and helpful links to other sites.
- Worm Woman Mary Appelhof's website for worm composting resources offers books, videos, resources for classroom studies, and more.