Compost and Recycling Resources
- Composting in Schools Fact Sheet (NH Farm to School)
- Fertilizing the Organic Garden (UNH Extension): Tips on using compost and manure to fertilize organically
- Joan's Famous Composting Worms : A NH-owned business with tips on vermicomposting, and online ordering of red wigglers
- Northeast Resource Recovery Association(NRRA): Provides education and information on waste reduction as well as cooperative purchasing and marketing programs. Located in Epsom, NH.
- The School Recycling Club Guide to Composting: Hosted by the NRRA to assist schools in implementing, maintaining and improving school recycling programs. Over 200 member schools!
- Away with School Waste: A Teacher's Guide to Starting a School Waste Reduction, Recycling & Composting Program (Alyson Chambers, Arlene Kozimbo, Erika Perloff, and Collette Streight): This guide was written for teachers who want to start a school-wide waste reduction program at their schools. Produced by Ecology Action, Life Lab Science Program, and Santa Cruz County Office of Education. (PDF: 12 pages, $5.00)
- Composting Basics for Beginners (SodGod) A great guide to Composting 101 in an infographic-style with lots of visuals! Discusses both outdoor and indoor composting. Check out their other guides, too.
- Composting in Schools(Cornell Waste Management Institute): The information on this site is drawn from the book Composting in the Classroom by Nancy Trautmann and Marianne Krasny. The book offers ideas for high school research projects and a wealth of compost-related information, including the 2017 guide “School Composting - Let’s Get Growing!”
- Creating Less Trash at School(Minnesota Pollution Control Agency): Simple, outlined ideas of steps parents can take to begin creating less waste in schools.
- Strategies to Reduce Food Waste in Schools & Child Nutrition Programs(No Kid Hungry): Focusing specifically on food waste from school meals, this resource highlights the most effective strategies schools can take to reduce, recover, and recycle foods!
- School Food Recovery Handbook(Natural Resources Council of Maine): A comprehensive guide for schools to identify problems with food waste and offering step-by-step actionable solutions.
- Sharing the Table: A Roadmap to Reducing and Recovering Surplus Food in Schools (Center for Green Schools): An overview and toolkit showing how food waste can not only be reduced at it's source, but that surplus food can go towards others in your community. Also has case-studies and useful worksheets to accomplish your goals.
- RecycleOftenRecycleRight (Waste Management) – Free curriculum designed in alignment with STEM and Next Generation Science Standards. These lesson plans include all needed resources and background information for recycling curriculum for grades K-5! The website also has printable materials like posters and brochures.
- Worm Woman: Mary Appelhof's website for worm composting resources offers books, videos, resources for classroom studies, and more.
NH Farm to School is an initiative of:
Click here to learn more about the Sustainability Institute.
NH Farm to School | Sustainability Institute at the University of New Hampshire | 107 Nesmith Hall | 131 Main Street | Durham, NH 03824 | 603-862-2542