Farm to Institution
- NEW: NH Farm to Institution Toolkit (NH Food Alliance, NH Farm to School): A New Hampshire specific resources designed to guide NH schools, hospitals, and other institutions towards purchasing more local food. Includes help and resources on choosing a food service company, making purchasing decisions, negotiating contracts, and more. Produced as part of the NH Food Alliance Food Access action team.
- AASHE Sustainable Procurement Toolkit (AASHE Members Only)
- Farm to Institution: Next Steps in Supporting Local Food Infrastructure (Huffington Post): A news article describing some barriers to increasing local food purchasing among institutions, and steps that need to be taken to address these challenges
- Bringing Local Food to Local Institutions (ATTRA): A resource guide with examples and case studies for farmers, food service managers and the community to begin or expand farm-to-institution programs
- Farm to Institution New England/FINE : FINE is a six-state network working together to increase the amount of local food served in schools, hospitals, colleges, etc. Their website offers a number of different resources as well as their current projects and contacts.
- Increasing Local Food Procurement by Massachusetts State Colleges and Universities (Harvard Food Law & Policy Clinic): 2012 report by Harvard about Massachusetts-specific procurement practices and law. Includes an overview of barriers and challenges to procurement, recommendations to overcoming these, and how to push for future change.
- A Toolkit for Institutional Purchasers Sourcing Local Food from Distributors (FINE): Comprehensive toolkit focused around communication methods for sourcing, tracking, and reporting local foods procurement. Includes sample questions to distributors and a sample letter you can adapt to your needs. Also has a directory of New England local produce distributors!
- The DoD Fresh Program: Understanding and Adapting a System to Respond to the Demand for Locally-Grown Foods in New England (Kids First RI & FINE): A report about the Department of Defense Fresh Program, including a current analysis and strategic recommendations of actionable changes to be made
- New England Beef to Institution Market Study (Wilson, R.; Charlene, A.; Calderwood, L.H.; & Rumley, K.)A 2011 study assessing the demand for local ground beef and the feasibility of introducing a New England model to source and distribute local beef among institutions.
NH Farm to School is an initiative of:
Click here to learn more about the Sustainability Institute.
NH Farm to School | Sustainability Institute at the University of New Hampshire | 107 Nesmith Hall | 131 Main Street | Durham, NH 03824 | 603-862-2542