Food Systems & Sustainability
New England Resources:
- NH Food Alliance: a statewide network of organizations, food businesses, producers, and individuals working together on food systems initiatives.
- Beginner Farmers of NH: A farmer to farmer network connecting farmers and the community, sharing ideas and information, and accessing technical assistance and agricultural education.
- Monadnock Farm & Community Coalition: a coalition of 91 member organizations and 48 individual members who come together regularly to build a robust local food system throughout the Monadnock Region.
- NH Department of Agriculture, Markets & Food: The mission of the NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food is to promote agriculture in the public interest and serve farmers and consumers in the marketplace.
- NH Farm Bureau Federation: An organization serving farmers, property owners, rural residents and friends of farming.
- NH Farm Museum: The museum hosts special events, programs, and workshops as part of its mission to preserve, understand and carry forward New Hampshire's agricultural heritage.
- NH Farmers' Market Association: The NHFMA's mission is to educate the general public on the benefits of a healthy lifestyle acquired through locally grown agricultural products.
- NH Farms Network: This website features NH farm profiles, news about local farms, seasonal recipes and agricultural events.
- NH Harvest Calendar: a printable calendar of whats generally available each month from NH farms.
- NH Harvest of the Month: a project by NH Farm to School highlighting a different in-season produce item every month
- NH Made: A statewide membership organization that promotes NH products and services.
- Northeast Organic Farming Association (NOFA) - NH Chapter: NOFA-NH promotes organic agriculture practices and offers educational events and resources for farmers, gardeners and consumers.
- Seacoast Eat Local: Seacoast Eat Local connects consumers with sources of locally grown and locally made foods.
- Slow Food Chapters in NH: Slow Food Seacoast, Slow Food Monadnock, UNH Slow Food: Slow Food is a global, grassroots movement with thousands of members around the world that links the pleasure of food with a commitment to community and the environment.
- UNH Cooperative Extension: Provides NH citizens with research-based education and information on issues including agriculture, food and nutrition.
- UNH Organic Dairy: An applied research center for integrated organic production and management and an education center for organic dairy farmers, farmers undergoing or considering transition to organic, and students of sustainable agriculture.
- UNH Sustainability Institute: Since 1997, the Sustainability Institute has been a powerful voice for a healthy planet and human dignity for all people. The Institute houses NH Farm to School as well as other food system programs like the NH Food Alliance and Food Solutions New England!
- Vital Communities: engages citizens, organizations and communities in creating solutions to the region's challenges in the Upper Valley of NH and VT.
New England Resources:
- Farm to Institution New England: connects schools, colleges, hospitals, and other institutions to producers of locally-grown foods. FINE encourages farmers and institutional buyers to develop sustained and mutually beneficial relationships that enhance the well-being of institutions' food consumers.
- Food Solutions New England: an initiative designed to facilitate networked collaboration among the six New England states to strengthen our regional food system.
- Local Harvest: With the LocalHarvest map, you can find all the farmers' markets, family farms, locally-grown produce, grass-fed meats, and other sources of sustainably grown food in your area.
- A New England Food Vision: New England's goal to produce 50% of their own food by 2060
- MA Outdoor Volunteer Experience (theMOVE): organizes reflective farm-volunteer workdays for diverse groups throughout the Boston area, to connect folks with the social and natural systems that sustain us daily.
- New England Small Farm Institute: The New England Small Farm Institute offers education and resources for farmers.
- Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Working Group: NESAWG is a regional network of member organizations and individuals working together to create a more sustainable and secure regional food system--one that is economically viable, environmentally sound and socially just and produces safe and healthful food.
- GAP: Good Agricultural Practices
- Keep Local Farms Fund: The Keep Local Farms Fund initiative is part of a broad effort to stabilize and enhance milk prices paid to dairy farmers in New England.
- American Community Gardening Association: A national nonprofit membership organization of professionals, volunteers and supporters of community greening in urban and rural communities.
- Center for Ecoliteracy: Dedicated to education for sustainable living by fostering a profound understanding of the natural world, grounded in direct experience.
- Share Our Strength: A national organization working to end childhood hunger in the US.
- Slow Food USA: Information on the Slow Food movement in the US.
- The Natural Step: A not-for-profit organization dedicated to education, advisory work and research in sustainable development.
- Food Print: Celebrates local sustainable food, educates consumers on food-related issue,s and works to build community through food.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition: An alliance of farm, food, conservation, and rural organizations that together advocate for federal policy reform supporting the long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability of agriculture, natural resources, food systems, and rural communities.
- Project Food, Land, and People: Promotes approaches to learning to help people better understand the interrelationships among agriculture, the environment, and people of the world.
- Rodale Institute: A nonprofit that promotes organic and sustainable agriculture through research and education.
- Sustain: The Alliance for Better Food and Farming: Advocates food and agriculture policies and practices that enhance the health and welfare of people and animals, improve the working and living environment, enrich society and culture and promote equity.
- United States Department of Agriculture: Federal government department that provides information on food, agriculture, natural resources, and public policy.
NH Farm to School is an initiative of:
Click here to learn more about the Sustainability Institute.
NH Farm to School | Sustainability Institute at the University of New Hampshire | 107 Nesmith Hall | 131 Main Street | Durham, NH 03824 | 603-862-2542